Monday, November 25, 2013

How do you NaNo? by Christine Locke

We are almost there!!!

If you, too, are tormented by NaNoWriMo, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  This year my project is unusual; I'm not really sharing word counts on social media because these are words I wrote a long time ago.  Then I had some babies, got divorced, fried the laptop, lost the files....  Yeah, a LONG time ago.

A good friend expressed regret that I'd lost my first manuscript--she liked it (!!!).  She was one of maybe three people who actually read the book.  I, however, became convinced that it was horrible, so I did not think much of it until she remembered the story fondly after .... years.  No, I'm not going to tell you that.  No.

So, a few weeks later, I found the files.  Synchronicity and I are old, old friends, so I was regretting that the computer fell casualty to my divorce (long, boring, pre-storage-cloud story) when I found the box between my desk and the wall.  It was an old, dusty box...with my first novel in it.  Huh.  I printed out copies.  How did I forget that?

But the novel is in terrible shape.  At some point I decided to re-order the chapters, and there appear to be multiple drafts involved.  Also, my early attempts at editing resemble angry-red scribble doodles.  It's a mess.  So there you have it, my NaNoWriMo project for 2013: recover the first novel I ever wrote.

Hey, nobody said NaNo was for sane people.

I didn't even know that the NaNo site would ask us for a cover image when I made this one a few months ago.  There's just one problem: the character named in my title.  He's not exactly a good guy, and several years ago I named my son Alexander.  Hmmm.

So, how do you NaNo?

photo credits:
headline: Ambientideas/Shutterstock
book cover: Carlchick/Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment