Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Writing on Wednesday: Carin's story SPOILER within... by Christine Locke


Sometimes a writer's got to do what a writer's got to do.  After I outlined Out of Place last winter, I was caught up in outlining another novel unrelated to The Legacy Series.  In fact, it's not like anything I've written in a long, long time.  Perhaps it was inspired by my recent rediscovery of Madeleine L'Engle, and I'll be blogging about that for Friday Reads.  So, I now have a sort-of magic realism type story, 65,000 words in the first draft, and I'm deciding what to do with it.

In the meantime, Carin is back!  The extra time her story's conclusion had to roll around in the back of my mind ended up adding a layer to the story.  I hope to make Out of Place a book that could stand alone for readers who have not read the first two books (not that I will include the story of the first two in the third--new readers would still have to go back and read those if they wanted to know how Carin got into her current mess and why she's so motivated to make sure her [SPOILER!] daughter does not inherit the same).

Yup, Carin's got a daughter.  Her name is Christina (after a certain favorite writer friend of mine who is as yet unpublished), and she is fascinating, but nothing like her mother.  I'm having great fun with this.  I'll keep you posted!

So what should I do with the new novel?  Self-publish, or try the agent-hunt thing again?

No comments:

Post a Comment