Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Writers On Wednesday: Guest Post by Leanne Dyck

I'm starting a new feature here on Christine Locke Books: Writers On Wednesday, where I will showcase a writer, indie published or otherwise, who will share her/his thoughts regarding the inspiration for writing.  We all have special places within ourselves that feed our writing, and, especially when we get stuck, exploring them can be helpful to other writers, as well as ourselves.

My first featured author, Leanne Dyck, draws inspiration from handcrafts.  Her novella, The Sweater Curse, is available here.  Many thanks to Leanne for her interesting post!


I reside in ideas
I craft with dreams

Why do I knit?

Ask a dozen knitters this question and you may receive a dozen answers. For me, knitting is less about the mastery of craft and more about the celebration of creation. My request is not, ‘teach me to knit that’ but rather ‘allow me to express myself’.

What do I knit?

Sweaters. I have knit other things but I always return to sweater. They are my canvas.

Why do I write?

Due to shyness and other limitations, it has, at times, been difficult for me to express myself verbally. Looking for a solution, I found writing. It set me free. It became part of me. Now I look at a blank page like a child would look at a sandbox. It’s a fun place to leave my tracks.

What do I write?

I write flash fiction, short stories, novellas and novels. My only constraint on genre is that I prefer fiction. Beyond that I feel free to explore.

Why do I write about knitting?

I’m proud to be a member of the knitting community. When I was lost they found me and gently nudged me in the right direction.

Knowing that knitters are diverse, strong and talented, it upsets me that non-knitters have only been given a limited view of our community. I’d like to broaden this view.

What have I written about knitting?

I began my knitwear design career in August 2002. During my career, I self-published over twenty hand knitting patterns. Knitters from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Israel and Japan purchased these patterns. I closed my design business in January 2011 and now share these patterns, for free, on my blog (http://sweatercursed.blogspot.com)

Decadent Publishing released my knitting-themed novella as an ebook in January 2011.

Blurb:  Aspiring knitwear designer Gwen Bjarnson is stuck in Purgatory. To escape, she must re-examine her life, journey through her past and right a wrong. But which wrong?

Young and in love, she works to establish her career, except fate has different plans. One rash act and she loses everything. Never resting, always seeking, and yearning for what she can no longer have, Gwen faces the truth:  if she remains, others are destined to die.

How will she solve the mystery before it is too late?

Reviewers said,

‘Stitch by colorful stitch, Leanne Dyck knits a tale of intrigue’ –Laurie Buchanan

‘Leanne Dyck has crafted a tale as exotic and existential as Danish author Isak Dinesen’s’ –Lou Allen

‘I found myself totally engrossed’-Deborah Warner

‘I found it very difficult to put this book down once I started it, because the voice of lovely Gwen Bjarnson, already dead at the start of this book, drew me in immediately.’ –Holly Robinson

Buoyed up by these comments, I set to work to transform this novella into a novel. I’m currently working on revisions. To follow my author journey, please log on to my blog ((http://sweatercursed.blogspot.com)


3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Christine, for making room for me on your blog. I enjoyed my visit. And am honoured that I'm the first author you've invited here.
    Wishing you much success and happiness,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts.
    Burun Esteti─či

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Burun. Be sure to check out Leanne's blog, too, at http://sweatercursed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete