Friday, December 7, 2012

A Temptation of Angels Review by Christine Locke

Not What You Expect: Better!

A Temptation of Angels
by
Michelle Zink

I already loved Ms. Zink's writing, so I knew I'd enjoy this story, but I had no idea how much.
I was delighted to find that Ms. Zink cleverly subverts all the normal expectations for YA paranormal stories. I don't know if she's planning to tell us any more about Helen and Griffin. It might be nice. But it's also unnecessary, since their story is wrapped up in one volume. Now who has the guts to do that these days? [spoiler alert!!] Not to mention that the "love triangle" is really more of a possibility than an actual triangle, and only serves to highlight fidelity and the beauty of commitment here. The superpowers are more like home-schooled powers of observation and deduction, and hey, the bad guys are the fallen angels and the good guys are good angels! Again, refreshing, unexpected, a creative addition in a genre that can be a little same-old, same-old, no matter how much we all love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment