Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thinking on Thursday: Writing Christmas by Christine Locke

I suppose there are two Christmas novels for me:  A Christmas Carol and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.  Both capture two elements of the Christmas story well: what it is to be lost, and what it is to be filled with wonder and, thereby, saved.
If you celebrate Christmas, what are your favorite Christmas stories?  And if you celebrate another holiday, what fictional works capture it best for you?

Have you ever written Christmas or another major holiday into your own stories?  I'm including Halloween and Thanksgiving in In Time, which is in the final stages of revision (finally!).  And my planning for the last book of The Legacy Series includes Christmas and perhaps another holiday.  I'm fining the holidays packed with activities that pull me away from writing, and yet nonetheless inspiring.  Often a hymn, decorative display, or a child's trusting request give me pause as I find myself building a story around the experience.  As often as the holidays pull me away from writing, they draw me back to it again with inspiration. 

"Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childhood days, recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth, and transport the traveler back to his own fireside and quiet home!"
Charles Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment