Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tips Tuesday:Sequel Structure and Branding Klout by Christine Locke

  1. Does this happen to you other writers out there?  You've got the outline and list of scenes for your new novel all ready to go, but upon completing a "manuscript," you find on the first read-through it lacks cohesive structure.  I don't know how it happened with as much planning as I did--or thought I did, but, there you have it.  What to do?  Since readers enjoyed the pacing of Open Door, I went back to it.  I noticed my sequel contains a similar number of chapters, so I made a study of the two.  I went back to my planning notebook and completed a new section, comparing the structure of the two works chapter by chapter.  I found that my novel was not quite as hopeless a mess as I'd once thought.  Smooth out the inconsistencies and perfect the transitions, and it might even be workable.  Not only that, but by doing this I created a new road-map for the revising process: my chapter-by-chapter list of what to fix for better pacing.
  2. I worked for a long time as a retail manager and manager trainer, so the concept of branding is not new to me.  When my little sister described her marketing classes' instruction to think of every Facebook post and tweet as personal "branding," I admit I was thinking, well, duh.  This is the same concept I taught new managers pre-social media age: our personal lives reflect upon our professional ability.  Some found it unjust or unfair that dancing on a bar half-naked might speak poorly to one's capacity for responsible business management.  It may not be fair, but...it is what it is, I'd try to explain.  I wish I'd had Klout back then.  Here's a great little article I found on the subject this week.  Klout is a fantastic tool to help the novice understand the concept of personal branding, which is especially helpful to indie writers who have to "do it all" themselves when it comes to marketing and sales.  If you don't know your Klout score, check it out.  Experiment with what online activities make the score go up or down.  Are your areas of expertise the ones you would expect?  Does Klout think you have "klout" on writing and young adult fiction, or does Klout think you're an expert on half-naked bar dancing?  I'm just saying...these things are good to know.
Photo Credit: Ambient Ideas/Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment