Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tips Tuesday: Online Caution, Blog Traffic Building by Christine Locke





I continue to be astonished by the supportive and informative atmosphere indie publishing writers create for newcomers.  I'm blessed to have found it when I did, and only wish I'd done so sooner.  However, while my enthusiasm is genuine, it's important to remember to be cautious as we put ourselves out there in order to promote our books.

1.  Here's something I did not know about until just recently: the "I can't believe you're in this video" Facebook scam.  This scam made its way around Facebook around this time last year.  I've never seen it there, but I use Facebook only for close friends and family.  Here's a pretty good description.

What's interesting is that I'm seeing this pop up on twitter, with links to Facebook.  The messages seem to come from folks with twitter profiles that make them look like writers with about a thousand followers, people who seem like one of us indies, with pictures & all (not just the egg).  I've gotten a few of these now, from (apparently) different tweeps.  I don't know if these folks wish to perpetrate a scam or if they are unfortunate enough to have had their accounts hacked and used by others for that purpose.  Either way, it's another example of the need to exercise caution online.

2.  To offset that buzz-kill, here's an example of what's great about twitter: other writers figuring out how to help each other and help themselves at the same time.  What's a great way to build blog traffic? Interview an indie author and review their books on your blog.  This is a little different from the "book blogger" sites we all so very desperately want to be reviewed on these days.  To tell you the truth, I have a feeling this may be the next big thing.  Indie writers already band together in groups to cross promote, and this is one of those promotion efforts that rings true rather than coming across as endless "buy-my-book" tweeting. 

Some authors simply make a point of showcasing other indie authors with an interesting interview, but I love it when the blogger reads the book and includes a review.  There's something about a fellow author explaining why they like a book that is powerfully genuine.  Here are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about: blogs by Rebecca Scarberry @scarberryfields, LeeAnne Dyke , and Heather Sutherlin @HeatherSutherli.

Hope you've found something helpful here; I'm off to get back to work--happy writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment