Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tips Tuesday: Books to Beat Block by Christine Locke

When I get the sensation that writer's block is about to set in, I pick any title from the reading list for the master's degree in Engaged Humanities and the Creative Life at Pacifica Graduate Institute.  The Institute offers many courses on the work of Joseph Campbell, and they often include his books in their reading assignments.

I was disappointed to see the reading list is no longer offered on their website.  Fortunately, I had already printed a copy.  So I can share a few of my favorites with you here.  Today, I'll share an old but still inspiring one:

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
I first read this back in the 1990's when it was first published, but it was worth a re-reading last winter when I was stuck.  She's very into daily writing in journal form, which can be great for powering your way through block.  On the topic of daily writing, Cameron seems heavily influenced by Writing Down the Bones, another older collection of essays on writing and why and how we write.  I read it for the first time last February at my daughter's hospital bedside (appendicitis--she's fine now).  If you haven't already read this, you should do it now.  I have a copy on my iPad.  I'm sure it's available on kindle as well.
 
Photo Credit: Ambient Ideas/Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment