Friday, July 27, 2012

Why I will not sell my novel on twitter (or Facebook) by Christine Locke

My twitter feed has become a most strange place.  I wish I could say it was fantastically strange, or weirdly strange, or any other such cursed adverb (you do know that adverbs are cursed, right?) which I might find inspiring.

My twitter feed is for advertising now.  And I'm ashamed to say I added to that endless infomercial.  Now, don't get me wrong: I LOVE and appreciate the company of my fellow writers.  I will not be "unfollowing" anyone who tweets their book.  But I won't be tweeting mine.  Anymore.

I realized the other day just how silly I was.  Here I am, the author of a novel that is perfect for a 14-year-old (or so) girl, tweeting various forms of "buy it!" to people who are...not 14.  Most of my twitter friends are maybe my age, maybe older, maybe younger.  I think I have some of my target audience in there (I sure hope I do!  I really want their perspective!), but I don't think any real 14-year-olds are going to buy my book from a tweet.  If they are on twitter at all.

So, I'm going to tweet about writing. I'm going to tweet about teens I find inspiring.  I'm going to tweet about the Olympics.  But I'm not going to tweet about my book unless I'm asking your advice or venting my author-ly frustrations.  I'll tweet a little to say I've finally finished the new book (when I do...oh, golly...IF I do...), or I'll tweet if I'm giving one away--maybe.  Not even sure about that.

The upshot is this: I'm looking for interaction, not a transaction.

Same goes, all of the above, for Facebook--oh, except I am "friends" with teen girls there.  I'm friends with their mamas, and I guantee they are NOT going to buy my ebook because I used social media to heckle their babies about it. 

So, no matter how tempted I might be, no matter how badly my fingers itch when I watch my amazon rank fall 50,000 places in one day, no matter...I WILL NOT TRY TO SELL MY BOOK ON TWITTER.  Now I'm going to go write that 500 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment